In the notes below
[dspace] refers to the install directory for your existing DSpace installation, and
[dspace-source] to the source directory for DSpace 1.7.2. Whenever you see these path references, be sure to replace them with the actual path names on your local system. Additionally, be sure to backup your configs, source code modifications, and database before doing a step that could destroy your instance.
- Download DSpace 1.7.2 Either download DSpace 1.7.2 from DSpace.org or check it out directly from the SVN code repository. If you downloaded DSpace do not unpack it on top of your existing installation. Refer to Installation Instructions, Step 3 for unpacking directives.
- Apply any customizations. If you have made any local customizations to your DSpace installation they will need to be migrated over to the new DSpace. These are housed in one of the following places:
- JSPUI modifications:
- XMLUI modifications:
- Config modifications:
- JSPUI modifications:
- Build DSpace. Run the following commands to compile DSpace:
[dspace-source]/dspace/target/dspace-[version]-build.dir. Inside this directory is the compiled binary distribution of DSpace. Before rebuilding DSpace ('package'), the above command will clean out any previously compiled code ('clean') and ensure that your local DSpace JAR files are updated from the remote maven repository.
You will find the result in
- Stop Tomcat. Take down your servlet container. For Tomcat, use the
$CATALINA/shutdown.shscript. (Many Unix-based installations will have a startup/shutdown script in the
- Backup Your DSpace. Make a complete backup of your system, including:
- A snapshot of the database. To have a "snapshot" of the PostgreSQL database use Postgres' pg_dump command.
- The asset store (
[dspace]/assetstoreby default, and any other assetstores configured in the
[dspace]/config/dspace.cfg"assetstore.dir" and "assetstore.dir.#" settings)
- Your configuration files and customizations to DSpace (including any customized scripts).
- Update DSpace. Update the DSpace installed directory with the new code and libraries. Issue the following commands:
- Generate Browse and Search Indexes. Though there are not any database changes between 1.7 and 1.7.1 release, it makes good policy to rebuild your search and browse indexes when upgrading to a new release. To do this, run the following command from your DSpace install directory (as the dspace user):
- Deploy Web Applications. Copy the web applications files from your
[dspace]/webappsdirectory to the subdirectory of your servlet container (e.g. tomcat):
- Restart servlet container. Now restart your Tomcat/Jetty/Resin server program and test out the upgrade.