Meeting Schedule and Attendance
DSpace Developer meetings are a time when Committers and interested Developers can discuss new software features, upcoming releases of DSpace software, and generally plan out the roadmap of DSpace. All meetings are public. We welcome anyone and everyone to attend, speak their opinions or just listen in on the discussions. Please note that we archive all discussions (see Meeting Archives), as a service for those who are unable to attend.
DSpace Developer meetings take place on the following schedule:
- Every Wednesday, alternating between 15:00 UTC and 20:00 UTC (every other week) in #duraspace IRC channel or in #dev-mtg Slack channel (these channels sync all discussions)
- To determine which time we are meeting at during a given week, please view the DuraSpace Public Events Calendar (iCal, RSS Feed)
- Also, see the world clock (for 15:00 UTC or 20:00 UTC) to determine the meeting time where you live. If you are unsure how to connect to IRC, see our list of IRC Resources & Clients
- All meetings are held for 1 hour (although, admittedly, discussion sometimes extends beyond that)
Meeting topics often include:
- Recent updates on upcoming DSpace releases, bug fixes or features
- Reviewing of recent reported issues/bugs/feature requests (see JIRA Cleanup Sessions for more info)
- Occasionally we vote or make decisions on upcoming DSpace technology plans/roadmap (see Developer Voting Procedures for more info)
If you are unable to attend a meeting, please feel free to add your own notes/comments to the meeting's wiki page.
Today's Meeting Times
Friendly reminders of upcoming meetings, discussions etc
- DSpace 7 Working Group: Next meeting is Dec 7 at 15:00 UTC in Google Hangouts. See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
- DSpace 7 UI Mockups - Watch this page for UI/UX mockups that are currently under discussion, etc.
- DSpace Entities Working Group: Next meeting is TBD (January 2018). See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
If you have a topic you'd like to have added to the agenda, please just add it.
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 7 Status Updates for this week
- Team is currently concentrating on building out search, submission, authentication and MyDSpace functionality
- Refactoring of submission configs notes at Configuration changes in the submission process
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 6.x Status Updates for this week
DSpace 6.3 Release Planning is ongoing. Looking for more contributors!
Policy on @author tags in code?
- Discussion of rough draft of Proposed DSpace Java Style Guide
Tickets or Pull Requests requiring attention? (Please feel free to add any you wish to discuss under this topic)
These topics are ones we've touched on in the past and likely need to revisit (with other interested parties). If a topic below is of interest to you, say something and we'll promote it to an agenda topic!
- Updating code style & validating via CheckStyle : Code Style Guide (WIP)
- Management of database connections for DSpace going forward (7.0 and beyond). What behavior is ideal? Also see notes at DSpace Database Access
- In DSpace 5, each "Context" established a new DB connection. Context then committed or aborted the connection after it was done (based on results of that request). Context could also be shared between methods if a single transaction needed to perform actions across multiple methods.
- In DSpace 6, Hibernate manages the DB connection pool. Each thread grabs a Connection from the pool. This means two Context objects could use the same Connection (if they are in the same thread). In other words, code can no longer assume each
new Context()is treated as a new database transaction.
- Should we be making use of
SessionFactory.openSession()for READ-ONLY Contexts (or any change of Context state) to ensure we are creating a new Connection (and not simply modifying the state of an existing one)? Currently we always use
SessionFactory.getCurrentSession()in HibernateDBConnection, which doesn't guarantee a new connection: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/HibernateDBConnection.java
- Should we be making use of
Help us test / code review! These are tickets needing code review/testing and flagged for a future release (ordered by release & priority)Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status Fix Version/s
Newly created tickets this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status
Old, unresolved tickets with activity this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status
Tickets resolved this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Tickets requiring review. This is the JIRA Backlog of "Received" tickets:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P
IRC Transcript is available at - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2017-12-06
Notes and Transcripts from all recent Developers Meetings are available off of the Developer Meeting Archives page.