Page tree

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: 

Attendees: Jason, Tim, Lynette, Huda, Simeon

Regrets: Steven

Agenda & Notes

Review actions from 2018-10-26 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes

  • Steven FolsomLC Names is in QA without going thru context workflow. Steven Folsomwill work with Huda Khan to set up.
    • 2018-11-01 - LC will investigate the bulk download problem and generate a new bulk files that include the RWO data.
  • Steven Folsomand Simeon Warner to explore what BFE does with JSON-LD input data in order to frame questions going forward about what Sinopia needs to be able to copy data in
    • 2018-10-26 - Done, it seems that flatten and compact makes data readable by BFE. This is easily done with the Ruby jsonld library that Gregg Kellogg wrote. See https://zimeon.github.io/bfe-data/ . Nothing more to try until we have some real sample data from Discogs.
  • Steven Folsom to reach out to Astrid about possible Stanford participation in US2TS and will coordinate proposal
    • 2018-11-01 - Astrid responded that they will decline, out of concern for the April 2019 Sinopia deadline. Jodi Schneider (with co-organizers Paul Groth and Ryan Shaw) proposed a session on domain-specific knowledge graphs that will include the description we provided. Ryan Shaw and Deborah McGuiness are also confirmed speakers. 
  • Jason Kovari  Starting work on getting records to Casalini, will need to work out how to stage data we get back from Casalini
    • Casalini will not be giving us MARC data (with URIs) back unless we become a 'member' - not part of the LD4P contract
    • CUL-IT and LTS are working on this - pull all our bibliographic records is cumbersome to process; on the queue for Pete Hoyt and Gary Branch
  • Tim Worrall to create a set of issues in qa_server repo to describe work for supporting Discogs in QA (because we don't want LD4P specific tickets in QA)
  • Simeon Warner - set up homework to brainstorm D&A ideas on Google Doc, then set up longer session together to flesh out. Need to scan the large set of D&A issues: https://culibrary.atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=19&projectKey=DISCOVERYACCESS&view=planning.nodetail
  • Issues: https://waffle.io/LD4P/ld4p2-cornell=

Status updates and planning

  • LD4P2 meeting post-mortem
    • Cohort members asked for more homework
      • Suggestion from Huda was to suggest that they look at vanilla BFE
      • Keep discussion of requests for authority support requests (we have one since the meeting)
      • ... how do we move ahead with this? 
  • Authority Lookups for Sinopia (Production QA instance: https://github.com/cul-it/qa_server/issues/)
    • QA Priorities: update lookup.ld4l.org to use engine (done pending deployment), keeping historical data (done pending deployment), logging of use (not done yet Issue #28), then finish refactoring (no recent work), then performance (some reporting added) and/or new authorities
    • Lookups for lcnaf: experimenting with regular lc call but with Ajax requests to return context. Have rwo and sameAs coming back in search result-like display and next step is to do additional Ajax calls for rwo info (3xx fields), to generate prototype that can be used in testing. Huda is going to change prototype to work against QA for first search, but will then make other AJAX calls to LC to experiment with context data
    • Huda has found that wikidata URIs in LC NAF MARC are being "lost" on conversion to JSON-LD because they are being added into the citation note string
  • Wikidata (see Huda's slides)
    • Ideas for searching for events – perhaps occurrence entities in wikidata?
    • Both link out to wikidata from catalog pages and then use as a way to find other related entries
  • BFE issues
    • While exploring support for authorities in BFE we notice that the RDF generated from a Topic search in BFE is simply broken. It ends with the label disconnected from the authority in the graph. Jason Kovari will raise this on slack as it will impact Sinopia 
  • Prep for Cataloging Sinatra and other 45's (Discogs data)
    • Tim working through the plan described in qa_server issues
  • Enhanced Discovery
    • Simeon and Tom to start up D&A affinity group
    • How do we get useful ideas for discovery to take back to Cornell D&A?
      • We want to generate wireframes of ideas
  • Travel and meetings
    • LD4P2 Cornell Meeting Attendances
    • LD4 Conference : tentatively scheduled for May 10-11 (Friday-Saturday) in Boston. Should have venue and room block contracts signed next week.

Next meetings:

  • 2018-11-09 - Lynette out
  • 2018-11-09, 16 & 30: Jason out