This Confluence wiki site, maintained by DuraSpace prior to the recent merger with LYRASIS, will transition from the duraspace.org domain to the lyrasis.org domain on Saturday, Nov 16 beginning at approximately 7pm ET. A period of downtime of 2-3 hours is expected. After the transition, this wiki will be available at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/. All links to duraspace.org wiki pages will be redirected to the correct lyrasis.org URL. If you have questions prior to or following the transition please contact: wikihelp@lyrasis.org.
Page tree

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: 

Attendees: Lynette, Tim, Huda, Simeon

Regrets: Jason, Steven

Agenda & Notes

Review actions from 2019-03-08 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes

  • Steven Folsom keep track of cataloger perspective on work to support LC Names is in QA with context 
  • Steven Folsom to reach out to Nancy to see what data we get from the "Profiles Wrangler" survey about QA needs, will then reach out to cohort to check results and see if anything is missing
    • 2019-03-08 - Received a confirmation from Nancy that they are happy to share. The survey closes 2019-03-08.
    • 2019-03-15 - Paloma mentioned before the survey closed that  https://www.rbms.info/vocabularies/ and http://www.ligatus.org.uk/lob/ were named. Waiting for a complete list. The former, I don't believe, is LOD; we'll have to confirm and come up with a plan.
  • Lynette Rayle LDPath gem is doing load for graph every time it tries to access something (SLOW)... may need to fork LDPath gem to make more efficient since will not need to reload graph every time (for our use case)
    • Still issue with LDPath gem, working Chris Beer to resolve
    • 2019-03-08 – no reply from Chris, will follow-up with issues in LDPath repo
    • 2019-03-15 - Tracking in Issue #56, have not yet put example in LDPath repo for Chris
  • Lynette Rayle investigate & document algorithm for selection of languages with label and/or no label. In cases like AgroVoc where languages are handled well then we just want to document the (good) algorithm; but in other cases where language information is wrong we need to be able to turn that off (need more config for this)
    • 2019-02-22 – no update
    • 2019-03-01 – no update, will be part of QA documentation update that is ongoing
    • 2019-03-08 – very nearly done... will be in QA release, hopefully today. Config will have wildcard for "all-languages" which will then not select data for just a single language
    • 2019-03-15 - Documentation has been started but still has some TODOs to fill in information. Created issue to track (Issue #61)
  • Huda Khan & Steven Folsom to go through spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gklgTQUNd9nr3xTl5kdFYK51SRG6TeMRH678N1FtNQ0/edit?usp=sharing assessing difficulty and "linked data wow" factor (BfB)
    • 2019-02-22 Discussion of whether we are doing anything that will impact our source (MARC) data or whether this work is just additions at the discovery layer (that may come from other sources such as SHARE-VDE clusters) – agreement that we are interested in experiments that will merge any useful data at the indexing stage. If we wanted to move any of this to production then we'd need to have conversations about linking in MARC but that could be done later / if / when. Huda Khanand Steven Folsomwill meet next week to come up with proposals with an assessment of tractability and wow factor.
    • 2019-03-01 Met yesterday and assessed "wow" in spreadsheet, suggested that three: relationships, knowledge cards and semantic navigation have the best potential for "wow".  Huda Khanand Steven Folsom to come up with wireframe proposals to present to D&A group on March 19.
    • Based on D.O.G. and D.A.G. work, generated set of ideas (to elicit feedback).  Based on bringing in relationships from external data (that hopefully go beyond what is already in the authorities).  Areas to try: cross-references, relationships, other sources (e.g. databases, etc.).
  • Huda Khan is working on whether usability work on catalogs has been done internally as well as externally to CUL. Code4Lib journal and another has some details
    • 2019-01-18: Have been looking at usability work and literature. Found some older material on Blacklight tests (when facets new), not so much after that. Some log analysis on SearchWorks. Also looking at linked data browser tools. Interesting dissertation from a few years ago on LD exploratory search. See discovery folder, literature exploration NOTES DOCUMENT, initial discussions with Tim regarding knowledge panels etc. , and also Stanford NOTES FROM LAST SUMMER
    • 2019-02-15: Astrid is doing more user sessions in the next week or so. Huda will then review.  Also discovery discussion group had a meeting. For reference, knowledge panel slides with screenshots/examples plus questions 
    • 2019-02-22 Huda Khan will schedule a DOG (discovery on the ground) meeting with goal of working toward plans/proposals for implementation (DIG) (flow  DAG → DOG → DIG → DUG)
    • 2019-03-01 DOG meeting on Monday with Cornell and Stanford folks
    • 2019-03-08 Astrid has completed user sessions, Huda has completed literature review. Will work together to experiment with designs (building on work from Chalet meeting). Results so far suggest specialized research users have very little interest in knowledge panels, but it seems that undergrad users may have interest. Plan UX testing of ideas with undergraduates.
    • 2019-03-14 Astrid has completed interviews with faculty and librarians, now talking with students. Huda will add results of literature review to confluence. Consider this item done
  • Jason Kovariwill discuss in LTS whether there a URIs from Share-VDE data that are useful and might be added to catalog
    • 2019-02-22 ON HOLD until we have the real (with clusters) Cornell data back from Casalini (expected early March). Then have discussion in LTS – people will need to see / explore data before forming opinions on utility
    • Lynette Rayle 's first look at indexed data (see https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/issues/16#issuecomment-468697789) doesn't make any sense... waiting for feedback from Dave
    • 2019-03-08 The SHARE-VDE response from services.ld4l.org is BROKEN, invalid ntriples (first line properly formed, rest missing < > and quotes??). Lynette will contact Dave about this.
    • 2019-03-15 SF: Queries against the SPARQL endpoint bring back valid RDF (with <> and "" missing from the API). On the other hand, the SPARQL endpoint is providing other types of expected results, e.g. DESCRIBE ?Works LIMIT 100 only brings back 5 work results. Other queries needed to evaluate the dataset time out, e.g. SELECT DISTINCT ?propertyForWorks LIMIT 100. Dave has looked at this a little, but answers found.
    • 2019-03-15: Updated Issue #16 to give examples of the data coming back from D.A.V.E. which are missing <> around predicates and quotes around strings
  • Simeon Warner re: Enhanced Discovery work, will talk with Jessie about Stanford plans and then talk to budget & finance
    • 2019-03-15 Working on posting position
  • Issues: Infrastructure Authority Requests https://waffle.io/LD4P/ld4p2-cornell

Status updates and planning