- Andrew Woods
- Jim Blake
- Tim Worrall
- Mike Conlon
- Huda Khan
- Christian Hauschke
- Muhammad Javed
- Ralph O'Flinn
- Marijane White
- Don Elsborg
- Steven McCauley
- Development processes
- Community development priorities
- VIVO Slack is up (self-register)
- This meeting schedule
- Weekly: Tuesdays @11am ET
- Do we keep the monthly Thursday call?
- Custom form configuration - (time permitting)
- ...Please add topics...
How code committed, what are our processes and policies:
Don: “what is the intent of the code” - Need some place to have this informations.
Andrew: There is ticket associate to the pull request. Currently JIRA is the process. Well you submit a pull request, I have templates to fill in. A template to fill out.
Ralph: This is a small group. We need Context, meaning and more understanding and to formalize this group to deal with large code changes.
Andrew: “Who is this team” and what are the responsibilities of this team. There is a group of committers and there is no need to limit this team. Open to add more team members.
Don: Good to know who the “Committers” are. Who else would like to work on the code and in what capacity.
Jim: When we had Tech Lead, I started working and committing the code and send the commit request and someone will review it.
Ralph: We are the “Developers” and anyone can send a commit request. I consider myself as a Developer and not the Committer.
Jim/Andre: Do we need to review who are current committers and not attending the calls, not submitting any commit request and so on.
Andrew: Anyone can send a commit request. Committers have control on commit and have some responsibility to the development.
Don: How can I have my say (as a non-Committer) for any commit/pull request.
Mike: VIVO-Committers have “autonomous” control over the code. But they do not work autonomously.
Huda: a commit request comes in, committers are the ones who are going test and check if VIVO-code do not break. But at what time, it goes to tech or community level to discuss.
Mike: Committers and Developers need to alert the community what kind of changes coming in and inform community that this might have impact.
Huda: There are different level of impact. Some impact may not be obvious at development level.
Mike: It would be great to have a list of changes that may have large impact.
Andrew: Committers should have reasonable knowledge if a change has large impact, what needs to be done, if data has to be loaded again and so on. It is good to know about key stakeholders.
Jim: A commit request sent today. No jira issue, no unit test is linked to it. What will we say to this person and who will say something to him. What we do about this request. Process ?
Andrew: How back we can go. Which old versions we are supporting?
Andrew: On weekly call, we look at the commit requests, discuss and take a decision.
Which Git projects?
Mike: What VIVO project is responsible for? 2) if we break someone custom code, what we do about it.
Ralph: VIVO cannot be responsible for every single custom code.
Andrew: suggest one major release a year.
Don: VIVO-Harvester is under VIVO project Repo. What it means?
Andrew: Is everything under github vivo-project are maintained by VIVO? Perhaps not. Some may have to be archived.
Mike: Some of them may not work now.
Intersection with other interest groups
Issue tracking: JIRA ? git-issues?
Coding / documentation guidelines
guidelines vs. standards
code rot / documentation rot; see attached code rot.pdf
borrow from other open source projects?
This meeting schedule
Weekly: Tuesdays @11am ET
Do we keep the monthly Thursday call?
Conclusion: Keep both schedules right now (weekly and monthly) until we find reason to do otherwise
Custom form configuration - (time permitting)
...Please add topics...
- Andrew Woods to send out Doodle poll to establish weekly meeting time for developer meeting
- Andrew Woods to create VIVO Slack channel