This is a priority identified by the October 2011 community survey on improving metadata support authored by the DSpace Community Advisory Team at the request of the DSpace Committers/Developers. DCAT has summarized and interpreted the information gathered from the survey estimated level of effort required. DSpace community members should feel free to add more detailed explanation/examples to further flesh out the changes/requirements they would like to see. It is recommended that a community project team be formed around this work.
Qualified Dublin Core registry in DSpace has not been updated for 8 years. Standardization would help compatibility with other systems and benefit from information gathered by the DCMI community(related links:https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-805 https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-433).
- need consensus/guidance from metadata experts in the community on specifically how/what to update and which version of the DCMI standard should be used
- need to link to the relevant schema on DC website and lock down (allow adds, but not changes)
- isolate where local customizations are done
- Initial look at the requirements
- This project should consider/coordinate with the Standardizing the default namespaces project
Estimated Effort Level Required
LEVEL OF COMMUNITY EFFORT: likely low to medium
LEVEL OF DEVELOPER EFFORT: likely low to medium
If you would like to participate or lead this project team, please identify yourself here and/or send a message to the dspace-tech mailing list.
- Mark Diggory (Participate)
- Amy Lana (Participate)